IMG_3727Every once in a while, I terrify myself. That means putting on a bathing suit. And for extra terror, it means getting in front of a camera in a bathing suit. Pre-cancer, I wore a Popina Swimwear retro bathing suit for a KATU story. This time, I was asked to “model” for a story in The Oregonian. I’ve got some fab new post-cancer pineapples (Thank you, Dr. Zegzula), but what if the rest of me looks like Jabba the Hut? I was about to find out.

Going to Popina Swimwear is such a positive experience because they have a gigantor range of suits, and they get it. The owner, Pamela Levenson, and her staff, know how to flatter whatever body part ails you. As a muffin-top-challenged, late 40-something woman, it felt great to hear: “You’ve got great curves. Now here’s what you do….”

They made me look great in a sweet streamlined tankini. The whole experience was refreshingly empowering, not terrifying. Do I look like an 18-year-old gymnast I used to be? Hell no. But seriously, who cares. Maybe this is the summer to enjoy just being around and quit wasting time fearing things like showing skin.

Advertisements

About clevercopy

Stand-up comedian, professional copywriter and public speaker

9 responses »

1. Linda Cahan says:

Looking really good, Jacki! The large tote is a nice touch – I’ll try to find one for all my photos! 🙂

2. Jackie Mathys says:

Yeah!

3. Cecelia Crow says:

You look FAB, roomie! Love ya!

4. srbparish says:

Hi Jacki,

Nice to see a post from you! How are you doing?

I’m healing a pinched nerve, which provides a good excuse to take breaks and get a sit-stand desk. Other than that, up to the usual. Joseph is an 11 year old giant. Hope all is well with all of you.

J

5. retdelia says:

Great post! You look positively FAB! And I love that shop. Purchased a few retro suits myself there. Hugs and when are we getting together! Ret

6. Trina says:

Look at you- hipster, Marilyn Monroe look a like! So beautiful and stylish. You are the focal point of the picture! I am constantly learning from you my friend(:

In admiration, Trina

Sent from my iPhone

7. jeaninesemon says:

Well, good for you. Which one are you? Jeanine with love and peace

8. JJ says:

Totally adorable! This is the year I will finally get myself over to Popina. I’ve been wanting to for ages but my old Lands End suits just keep hanging in there. 🙂

9. Molly says:

Love it! You go girl. Looking pretty marvelous in that adorable suit! Pool trips to the pool for sure this summer with our girls.